Top 5 Health Insurance Providers for Freelancers

Health Insurance for Freelancers Philippines

Health Insurance for Freelancers Philippines

Working freelance can be an envious idea for fixed-time employees. The idea of being on top of your schedule without the need of dragging yourself up every morning to get yourself at the office on time or squeezing yourself on a bus every afternoon rush seems to be a perfect thing. What is even more exciting about this job is that you could schedule your own break, and oversee your house needs while working in your pajamas. You could even take two, three or more jobs at a time if you can, which is very unlikely for a regular job that eats up your time. It is no wonder that more and more regular employees quit their jobs to work freelance.

These are all too good to be true. There is no perfect world as they say. Though what had been mentioned are the good points of working freelance, before you immediately decide to quit your job, weigh the pros and cons of each. One disadvantage is that you will miss the benefits provided to regular employees like the health care benefit.

Paying for your own health care plan should not be taken for granted. If you had previously used the health card provided by your employer in one of the reputable hospitals in the country, you must have an idea on how much you saved. Can you imagine losing that privilege and pay medical bills out of your pocket?

If you don’t want to spend all your earnings from your freelance job better get a healthcare plan. It is not as expensive or as difficult as you think. Here is a list of some of the health insurance providers in the country that you might want to consider.

The following may not be the complete list of the members of the two organizations. This is the list of the members that offer health insurance plan for individual or family members. Some offer group or corporate plans but I have a great feeling that one of these may have what you look for a health care plan. (All price quoted are based on a 30 year old male or female. Premiums differ per age.)

PHILHEALTH (as low as Php 200/month)

This is the government subsidized health care provider. It is more affordable compared to other private plans but does not offer comprehensive package as others do. Check for the benefit coverage it offers so you’ll see if you’d need additional private health care plan.

1. It provides room and board subsidy, laboratory exam, and professional fees for confinement of more than 24 hours.
  2. It also provides out-patient benefits
  3. It offers special benefit package like treatments for TB, SARS, H1N1 and other special illnesses.
  4. Some cases classified as non-cost-effective as defined by PhilHealth are subject to approval like optometric services, non prescription drugs and services, fifth obstetrical deliveries and the like.

Blue Cross (as low as Php530/month)

Blue Cross is a member of Association of Health Maintenance Organizations of the Philippines Inc. (AHMOPI) providing medical and travel insurance. The following are good points to consider why to choose this health provider

1. It provides maximum coverage limit of up to Php 3,000,000.00 and fully reimbursable on eligible medical bills depending on your insurance coverage
  2. It allows flexibility by letting you choose your own hospital, clinic or doctor.
  3. It offers comprehensive coverage
  4. Medical benefits are extended even when you travel
  5. 24/7 customer assistance is available for emergency needs

MEDICARD (as low as Php650/month)

This is the HMO usually provided by employers due to low cost of premium. Not too many may be aware that they also offer individual or family health care plan. Make sure to keep a list of the accredited hospital because they will reimburse you only 80% of the expenses not exceeding Php 5,000 if you’d been to non-accredited hospital in emergency cases. The following are the other benefits they offer:

1. Hospital confinement
  2. Out-patient care
  3. Preventive Health care
  4. Emergency Care
  5. Dental Benefits

INSULAR HEALTH CARE (as low as Php1150/month)

This company is part of Insular Life Assurance Inc which has been in business for more than 100 years. It is formerly known as I-Care. Here is the list why you would like to consider this provider

1. It offers competitive rate. For the exact premium rate, you might want to check directly with the company because that depends on every individual. To give you an idea, dental benefit costs only Php 336/member/year
  2. It has built-in life insurance. Being a member of the Insular Life Group, each policyholder is entitled of life insurance benefit depending on the coverage and on the schedule of benefits.
  3. It does not require PhilHealth membership. They pay 100% of the eligible medical charges.
  4. Reimburses up to Php 1,000.00 of the prescribed medicines.
  5. Offers  convenience because they are hospital-based.
  6. They do not require pre-enrollment medical examination.
  7. Provides free annual physical examination.

SUN LIFE PHILIPPINES(as low as Php1250/month)

Sun Life is not a member of AHMOPI but under direct regulation of the Insurance Commission. Among all the insurance companies operating in the Philippines, it was ranked number 1 in 2013. One of the protections they offer is the Sun First Aid. Here is the list why you will choose this product.

1. It has a money back feature that is unique from other insurance policies. They will give back 50% to 75% of the premiums paid after ten years whether the policy holder had been hospitalized or not.
  2. It offers financial assistance in case of hospitalization. There is cash benefit directly given to the policyholder when confined, if hospitalization exceeds 30days, or if surgery was performed.
  3. It also offers benefits like those you will find in life insurance policies like, life insurance coverage, waiver of premium in case of disability, and accident rider.

In choosing a health care insurance, it is advisable to choose one that is regulated by the AHMOPI or by the Insurance Commission (IC) itself.  AHMOPI is the body that regulates HMO providers in the country. Getting one from a regulated insurance company adds another level of protection to your insurance. The organization will act as mediator between the policy holder and the insurance provider in case of disputes or any irregularities in providing the benefits.

When choosing a health insurance there should always be a perfect mix of quality and quantity. Although you are paying very cheaply in your health insurance make sure that it qualifies to all your bare requirements, such as availability of accredited hospitals or clinics in your area, treatments that you deemed important for your condition and if it will save you from all the headache of following up in your reimbursements because when it comes to health, money can be scarce. So we better make wise decisions!

About the Author Agnes Embile Jimenez

Agnes often finds herself either lost inside her mind or lost in beautiful scenic places. She's currently doing the things she loves while maintaining a frugal lifestyle. This blog is all about her struggles to live a frugal life, her quest to see the world via budget traveling, and her love to share to people everything that she is passionate about.

Agnes does not absolutely conform to any beliefs or philosophies. Though she's writing about frugal living and is currently embracing the minimalist lifestyle, she doesn't want to define her existence based on these realities alone. For her, life is too diverse, too colorful, too mysterious, it would be a waste of experience (and time) to imprison herself to a few sets of ideas. Google+ | Twitter

(Visited 41,311 times, 1 visits today)

55 Responses to Top 5 Health Insurance Providers for Freelancers

1. […] choose any of the individual health insurance plans from private companies. Empress of Drac has a nice list you can refer to.  This way, in case you get sick, your emergency fund isn’t immediately […]

2. […] regular jobs wherein insurance and health benefits are already part of the compensation, in freelancing it is the freelancer’s responsibility to […]

3. rose sacdalan says:

need a quotation for 5 or 20 employees and its coverage

• Mikele says:

daer ms. rose sacdalan,

im mikele from blue cross insurance. can you email me with your details for that i can prepare you a quotation. here is my email: mikele_betervo@bluecross.com.ph

looking forward to your response. God Bless and Thank you very much!

RG,

Mikele

4. Liz says:

Hi friends!

I need to ask for your help regarding a survey. I am currently conducting a study regarding the different Philippine HMO’s and their services. The survey is very brief and will only take about 2-3 minutes of your time to complete. Please click the link below to go to the survey website (or copy and paste the link into your Internet browser) to begin the survey.

Survey link:
    surveymonkey.com/s/LV6K7NC

Your participation in the survey is completely voluntary and all of your responses will be kept confidential. No personally identifiable information will be associated with your responses to any reports of these data.

Thank you very much for your time and cooperation.

Liz

• Dara says:

Hi Liz,
      Were you able to get a response from the different HMOs in the Philippines? If yes, is it possible to request for a copy of the results of the survey?
      Thanks

5. ibarra p. villafuerte says:

need a quotation for 20 employee’s and up. and it’s coverage. thanks

• Mikele says:

Dear Ms. Ibarra,

I’m Mikele from Blue Cross Insurance, Medical Sales Team. Can you email me with your details so that i can prepare you a quotation. here is my email and conntact nunber: mikele_betervo@bluecross.com.ph / 09173548638

Looking forward to your response. God Bless and Thank you very much!

RG,

Mikele

• Carol says:

Hi im carol looking for health insurance for my daughter can u kindly email me the details of blue cross lyn_tin143@yahoo.com.

• Emar says:

Hi

I am Ram Viloria from iConnex HealthCare Solutions. What is iConnex HealthCare Solutions?

It is a hybrid health card that provides value for money while giving its members top quality health care assistance.It has more than 100,000 Members and still counting. Our members can get and ENJOY UP TO 50% DISCOUNT On your medical needs, Nationwide Coverage. NO AGE LIMIT and Pre-existing conditions are covered are some of the key features of our products.

You can email me at ram.viloria@iconnexsolutions.com or visit our website http://www.iconnexsolutions.com.

Also, Feel free to call ma anytime at 09059564840/ 882-0888.

Thank You so Much!

Hope to hear something from you soon!

RAM VILORIA 🙂

• Gerrie Sola says:

Hi! we need a quotation with details benefits and cost for 8 employees age range 28-49. Thanks

• Emar says:

Hi Ms. Ibarra

Also, Feel free to call ma anytime at 09059564840/ 882-0888.

Thank You so Much!

Hope to hear something from you soon!

RAM VILORIA 🙂

6. Isiah Layao says:

I’m from Eastwest Healthcare, if you need any inquiries and quotations please e-mail me at cao07@eastwesthealthcare.net

7. cris says:

what is the best health insurance

• bayzat says:

Personal or family health insurance are very complicated. bayzat made it easy to compare the best health insurance companies and find the plan for your needs. Simply answer a few questions, and get real-time quotes only from insurers that meet our high standards for quality and experience.

• Julie says:

Hi Maam Cris. I’m Julie of Blue Cross, please do email me at julieann_bobis@bluecross.com.ph so that I can assist you regarding of your Medical Insurance inquiry. Thanks.

8. Cheggy says:

Need a quotation for myself. Coverage. What’s it got. Bday July 22, 1970. Email quotation at cheggy_m@yahoo.com

9. Joel Q. Villares says:

Looking for a health Insurance. Currently working as online freelancer at 36 years of age. Please send me an email with additional information.

10. marites manuel says:

Hi!
    Im from Cebu City. In need of HMO quotation that offers pre existing conditions. tat.1986@yahoo.com is my email.

11. Maricor Descalzo says:

Hello,

Am in need of health insurance quotation for my mother with pre existing condition of alzheimer, high blood pressure and cholesterol, all conditions under control with medication.

Salamat po!

Maricor

12. Aria says:

HMO coverage for 3

13. Sari says:

Hi,

I’m currently in need of HMO with dental for myself and my parents. Please email me a quotation at sarsii4u@yahoo.com

14. Jesus Lucky M. Figao says:

Hi Everyone,

For any queries about Corporate HMO (minimum of 5 employees), and Individual & Family Health Program you may contact me anytime in my email below and contact details.

email: lcc_mktg2@yahoo.com
    Website: lcchealthcare.com
    Contact Number: 02-631-0142 / 0998-864-0892

Jesus Lucky M. Faigao

15. jade says:

I need some info about this hmo/health care insurance. Needed for me,my daughter and for my upcoming baby. Email me at jade.david10@gmail.com thanks

16. bong says:

i need info of any health care insurance/hmo, for my mom,dad,bf and me.please mail at bongski292000@yahoo.com.tnx

17. arthur santos says:

i need health insurance for my family please call 0906 383 9342/621 3257 . Arthur

18. Grace sabandal says:

I need health insurance. Please email at grayz0315@gmail.com thanks

19. […] Top 5 Health Insurance Providers for Freelancers | … – […] choose any of the individual health insurance plans from private companies. Empress of Drac has a nice list you can refer to. This way, in case you get sick … […]

20. Sher says:

Hello,

I need hospital insurance for my mother (58 yrs old) and grandmother (83 yrs old). Please email me on this sensored55@gmail.com I need it to pay ASAP. I just want to secure them. Thanks!

21. Leah hernandez says:

Hi! I need health insurance for me(with pre existing cond) and my 2 kids, 2 and 4 y/o. Please send me details and quotation lheiyz@yahoo.com. Need it asap. Thanks.

22. Jesus Lucky M. Faigao says:

Hi Everyone,

email: lcc_mktg2@yahoo.com
    Website: lcchealthcare.com
    Contact Number: 02-631-0142 / 0998-864-0892

Jesus Lucky M. Faigao

23. Crisavil Catubay says:

Good day Everyone!

Just in case you need a group life and medical insurance, I can be at your service. Im crisavil catubay of SUN LIFE GREPA FINANCIAL, INC. We offer life and medical coverage for corporate accounts with atleast 20 employees. For more details, you can contact me at 255-6671/09339641442 or email crisavil.catubay@sunlifegrepa.com. It is my pleasure to assist you. Mabuhay! 🙂

24. rhea says:

Hi! I’m looking for health insurance. Kindly send me the details and quotation at yangskie88@gmail.com ,Thanks!

25. Kaye Coching says:

I am from Generali Philippines, an international company providing life and medical benefits for as small as 5 employees per company! We even have our own network of hospitals and clinics. Call us now. Life insurance is as low as Php245 a year for P100,000 Cover

26. Leah Arias says:

Good afternoon. I am looking for a health insurance for a family of 4 husband, wife, and 2 kids. please email at cathlea4975@yahoo.com. Thanks

27. VINCENT ROLDAN says:

Hi I am vince, I would like to get for the health insurance for my mom. she’s now 59 years old. Would it be possible for her to be qualified for the health insurance?please do send me the coverage. please do email me: vinceroldan23@gmail.com

28. maricari says:

Hi maricar i need help to choose best hmo f for my father who has hypertension, peptic ulcer, and diabetes. I want insurance that offers good benefit for hospital laboratories and other charges.

29. Geli says:

Interested in hmo. Email me at gelli_carlos@yahoo.com
    Thanks 🙂

30. Emerson says:

Hi

I need HMO for me and my wife. im 34 y.o. and wife is 29 y.o.
    Can you please email me?

emerson.juales@gmail.com

31. Marxs says:

Hi Good Day! I need your assistance to choose what is the best HMO for my wife (29 years old) and 2 daughters (5 and 3 years old). appreciate if you could provide the quotation as well kindly email it to marcfajardo1419@ymail.com.

32. Maureenele says:

Hi!

I need Hmo for me and for my parents. Kindly contact me at maureenelenlago@yahoo.com, 09985555065

Thanks!

33. Grace says:

Good Day! Im looking for health insurance for our employee, can you send me a quotation/proposal to email address ascof.hrd@gmail.com and its coverage. Thanks

34. Armie Lorica says:

Hi need quotation for 12 employees send it to zcarina26@yahoo.com
    thanks

35. […] Top 5 Health Insurance Providers for … – […] choose any of the individual health insurance plans from private companies. Empress of Drac has a nice list you can refer to. This way, in case you … […]

36. Ruby says:

Hi guys im 28 yrs old, looking for health coverage for me and my two kids. Kindly send me the details and quotation at ledonne_monica@yahoo.com.ph

37. Eleanor S. Bugsocan says:

pls email me the quatation for 17, 41, 42 years old for our healthcare plan

38. Eleanor S. Bugsocan says:

pls give the quatation for 17, 41, 42 years old for our healthcare plan thks.

39. Deth says:

Good day i need health insurance plan/hmo for me im 50 yo and my mother72yo son 27yo and my brother 52yo and the quotation if you provide aswell thank you.kindly send me the details in pastordeth@yahoo.com

40. Sandra Santos says:

Axa Philippines launched GLOBAL HEALTH ACCESS-GOLD LITE, one of the best International Health card (HMO) that covers EXECUTIVE CLASS benefits.

Yearly limit: Php100million
    Issue Age: 15days old – 70 years old
    *Renewable until age 99
    Area of coverage: Worldwide including Top-ranked Hospitals in the Philippines such as
    Asian Hospital, St.Lukes Global, Makati Medical Center, The Medical City, Cardinal Santos, etc.
    Covers: CHEMOTHERAPY, KIDNEY DIALYSIS, & Radiotherapy

Added Benefits:
    * International Emergency assistance
    * Ambulance transport
    * Global concierge
    Feel free to contact me should you have any inquiries, I will be glad to explain this further to you.
    SANDRA SANTOS
    Mobile #: +63922-8303019
    Email add: axa.sandrasantos@gmail.com
    Financial Advisor
    AXA Philippines

Thank you so much!

41. Grace says:

Im looking for a very affordable HMO for my family. Husand, wife and 2 kids ( 6 year old and my 2 month old baby). Please send quotations to my email. gracevillapana@gmail.com