N.B: You don’t need to spend thousands of money to look fabulous and in-sync with fashion. Being frugal doesn’t mean you keep on wearing the same boring stuff over and over again. It’s on how you make use of the things around you to avoid spending your hard-earned money over unnecessary jewelries. Looking for creative ways to make cool accessories from used materials is not only good for mother earth, it is also good for your pockets. Below is a guest post on how you can make your very own fashionable beaded necklace from recycled magazines. – EOD
Great beaded jewelry offers a plethora of colors and textures. You can create your own stylish jewelry with magazine pages and a few other household items. Gather a few high quality and glossy magazines and a bottle of Mod Podge or Diamond glue. You will also need a small paintbrush, scissors, elastic jewelry string, a needle, and a thin dowel or wood skewer. Once you collect these items, follow the steps below to create a fun necklace.
1. Pick out a few colorful magazine pages. Try to find pages with color on both sides.
2. Cut thin strips from the page. Cut strips in different widths and shapes. For example, a pointed strip will result in a rounded bead while a straight strip will deliver a cylinder.
3. Start with the wider end of your strip. Use your paintbrush to apply a thin layer of glue to a few inches of the paper, leaving about half an inch on the very edge free.
4. Begin wrapping the paper tightly around the dowel or skewer.
5. Apply glue to the paper as you roll it so that it sticks firmly together.
6. Once you reach the end of the strip, hold the roll tightly for a few seconds to allow glue to set.
7. Remove the bead from the dowel and coat the outside with Mod Podge or Diamond glue. Diamond glue will give the bead a shiny, hard coat.
8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 in order to create additional beads.
9. Allow beads to dry overnight or for at least 8 hours.
10. Cut a length of string long enough for the necklace.
11. Using a needle, string beads onto the strand.
12. Once the string is full of beads, tie a secure knot to close the necklace and you are ready to go!
If you do not have time to create your own colorful accessories, click here to find great deals on necklaces and other jewelry.
Photo Credit: foeshop.co.uk – Used under Creative Common License